A full day passed in the Middle East since United States President Donald Trump recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
The following main points occurred in the 24 hours since Trump’s declaration:
• Trump breaks with international tradition and recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
• This was done because Trump believes political traditions haven’t brought any peace in the Israeli-Palestine conflict
• Critics (most of the rest of the world) say this brings instability and breaks the US objective of being a mediator in the conflict
• Hamas militant group declares an “uprising”
• Palestinians have gone on a general strike in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank to protest the decision (which only hurts themselves as Israel nor the US need Palestinian exports whatsoever)
• Day one of rallies are largely over: sun sets in Israel
More details to follow. Image 1 of Jerusalem from previous files.