Connect with us

United States

Small blast strikes transit hub in New York



An explosive device was detonated in the Port Authority Bus Terminal early on Monday in the city of New York, injuring four near Times Square.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said the incident was an “attempted terrorist attack” during a press conference later in the morning, with suspect Akayed Ullah detonating a homemade device that was strapped to his torso.

Ullah, 27, is injured but stable and in police custody, according to the New York Police Department. The suspect was born in Bangladesh and came to the U.S. on an F-4 Visa, according to local media reports.

The device detonated around 7:20 a.m. in a small passageway between transit areas.

Police Commissioner James O’Neill declined to confirm whether the suspect uttered allegiance to the radical Daesh (IS) militant group, but said there would be more information on it later.

Three civilians were hurt in the blast, sustaining “non-life threatening” injuries.

A press conference was held just past 9:30 a.m. by Governor Andrew Cuomo, the police commissioner, and the mayor.

“There are no additional known activities,” de Blasio said, explaining there are no further threats to the city.

“This is New York City, we don’t live in fear,” O’Neill said.

Emergency services in the United States responded to reports of an explosion during morning rush hour at the station located in Manhattan.

The Port Authority and several subway lines were initially closed, but have since been reopened.


Image of suspect from social media.

Suspect’s home raided

FBI agents and NYPD cops swooped down on three Brooklyn apartments tied to Monday’s would-be terror bomber — including the pad where he is believed to have assembled his crude explosive device, law-enforcement sources said.

Syndicated: New York Post

The members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force are hunting for evidence including computers, phones and other paraphernalia that could be tied to the botched bombing, sources said.

One of the homes, at 1689 E. 48th St. in Flatlands, was listed on suspect Akayed Ullah’s driver’s license and is believed to be where he lived with his family, sources said.

Another of the apartments belongs to his parents.

Ullah came to the U.S. from his native Bangladesh on an F-4 Visa — which is reserved for brothers and sisters of American citizens — seven years ago, sources said.

He previously worked as a city cabbie, authorities said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply