Saeed Noori, a man who drove his car into pedestrians in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, has been charged with 18 counts of attempted murder.
Former Afghan refugee Saeed Noori, 32, is due to appear before magistrates later on Saturday.
The former Afghan refugee is due to appear before magistrates on Saturday and will also be facing one count of conduct endangering life.
The incident in Flinders Street injured more than a dozen of people, in which some of them are still being carefully treated in hospital.
Foreign nationals from countries including China, India, Ireland, Italy, South Korea and Venezuela are among the injured.
Melbourne police said the suspect was interrogated and charged after being released from the hospital on Friday.
However, police have stressed that they are not treating the incident as terror-related.
More details to follow. Image 1 of Saeed Noori from The New Daily. ■
Authorities call for ban on Australian music festival
Madison Furness| Life
The New South Wales Premier vows to ban Defqon.1, after two suspected overdoses at Australian hard dance music festival.
NSW police reported over 700 people needed medical attention at the music festival for drug related issues, while 13 others have gone to Nepean hospital. Three remain in critical condition.
A 23-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman died in Nepean Hospital after they had collapsed at the festival around 9:00 P.M. The two casualties have not been fully identified.
There have been two other deaths in recent years. One being, Nigel Pauljevic, 26, he was found unconscious in a tent at the festival in 2015. He later died in hospital.
Gladys Berejiklian, Premier of NSW vowed to ban the event in her statement “I never want to see this event held in Sydney or New South Wales ever again — we will do everything we can to shut this down…” she said.
Following the event, ten people were charged with drug supply offences while 69 people were found to be in possession of drugs. Drugs such as GHB and MDMA were being carried in commercial quantity.
Two 17-year-old girls were charged with supplying 120 capsules of a prohibited drug into the festival.
Defqon.1 Weekend Music Festival is an annual event that takes place in Sydney Australia, The Netherlands and Chile. The festival plays hardstyle as well as other related genres such as, hardcore techno, hard house and hard trance.
About 30,000 people attended this year’s event.
Featured image by We Rave You ■
Australia investigating persecution of white farmers in South Africa
Australia’s immigration department has begun investigating the persecution of white farmers in South Africa as the country prepares to take in a wave of refugees.
Jacob Argintaru | The Avro Post
Australia’s immigration department has begun investigating the persecution of white farmers in South Africa as the country prepares to take in a wave of refugees, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Peter Dutton said in an interview with Sky News Australia Tuesday morning.
.@PeterDutton_MP: the Immigration Department is looking into ‘several cases’ of white South African farmers who claim they are being persecuted in their home country.
— Sky News Australia (@SkyNewsAust) April 3, 2018
Last month, Dutton told The Daily Telegraph that the immigration department plans on issuing special fast-track visas to South African farmers fleeing their country due to ongoing racially-driven persecution by their government.
Whites have been the ongoing victims of racially-motivated rape, murder, torture, and destruction of property in post-apartheid South Africa. South African President Cyril Ramaphosa recently pledged to seize white-owned farmlands without compensation.
Australia’s decision to take in white refugees fleeing South Africa comes shortly after Brisbane’s “March for South Africa,” where thousands of Australian citizens and South African immigrants rallied in support of their government recognizing the crisis.
For more on South Africa, check out “Farmlands,” a documentary series about the situation produced by Canadian journalist Lauren Southern.
More details to follow | Image of Australian MP Peter Dutton from The Guardian.
Dust storm hit small town in Australia
A dust storm hit Charleville, a town in south-west Queensland, covering the remote community in orange dust.
The storm swept through the small Australian town on Tuesday, knocking down several trees and causing minor damage.
Authorities said recent weather conditions had allowed strong winds to pick and spread dirt from the region.
“We do see a fair few dust events through the western parts of Queensland because it is such a dry and hot place, but it’s definitely one of the more impressive events of the last few years,” Harry Clark from Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology said.
Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology estimated the dust storm was about 124 miles wide and it recorded winds of up to 60 mph, while visibility at the local airport was reduced to about 200 m.
“We heard thunder, so we went outside and we turned around and there was this big red dust storm coming along,” Paige Donald told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.
Another resident in the remote town of about 3,300 people wrote on Facebook that it had been a wild few hours.
“I didn’t close the bedroom window before I went to work this morning! Nothing that the washing machine won’t fix,” wrote Sonja Street, while posting a photo showing a bed covered in dust.
Police said the storm lasted a few hours and caused some minor damage to houses and signs in the town.
The security official said the storm lasted for a few hours and inflicted some minor damage to houses and signs in the town.
More details to follow. Image 1 of the storm dust from Evening Standard. ■
Davis scores career-high in Raptors win over Bulls
The Toronto Raptors defeated the Chicago Bulls 129-102 on Sunday.
Raptors defeat Cleveland to win 9th straight game
The Toronto Raptors beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 115-109 on Thursday.
Humber monitoring coronavirus outbreak
There are no special actions at this time.
RSU files legal claim against Ryerson University
It comes after the university cuts off the student union.
Nominations open for 2020 IGNITE elections
Nomination packages are due by Feb. 14.
Campus6 months ago
Federal debate at University of Guelph scrapped over PPC policies
Campus9 months ago
First Year Experience launches blog to help students
Campus12 months ago
Humber College confirms ‘tragic death’ on residence
Style2 years ago
30 student discounts every student needs
Security2 years ago
FBI Says Restart Your Router!
Campus9 months ago
Humber College outlines how student fees will work
Canada Votes 20196 months ago
Johnson-Figueredo: No, a gun ban will not curb violence
Campus7 months ago
What’s new for fall 2019 at Guelph-Humber?