Ontario Progressive Conservative Party President Rick Dykstra stepped down from his position on Sunday evening as one of several who have been shuffled following Patrick Brown’s resignation as party leader.
Dykstra said in a statement that he was taking “a step back” as the party works to come around a new leader after serving as president since March 2016.
“After two years in this position, I know the party is prepared to take on the hard work necessary to fight this election.”
In 2015, Dykstra faced allegations that he knowingly bought alcohol for girls underage at a club in St. Catherines, where he was seeking re-election as a Conservative Member of Parliament.
Despite denying that he knew the girls’ ages, he lost the re-election effort and soon after became the PC Party president.
Saturday morning saw party fundraiser and Ottawa businessman Thom Bennett sending a confidential memo to party members with allegations that excess funds were spent on legal fees.
Mr. Bennett said he wanted to make a motion that “all payments of funds to reimburse lawyers defending legal suits against the PC Party of Ontario cease-immediately”, according the Toronto Star.
Dykstra did not respond to the Star’s request for comment on the allegations of questionable spending, however interim leader Vic Fedeli told the Star that it was “important our caucus have a very serious look at the accusations that are made in the letter.”
Pro-Brown executive director Bob Stanley was also fired from the party leadership in the wake of Brown stepping down to continue on as just an MPP within the PC caucus.
Former Brown spokesman Nick Bergemini returned recently after resigning after sexual misconduct allegations came out against Brown by two anonymous women last week in an exclusive CTV News report.
More details to follow. Image of Rick Dykstra from The Globe and Mail.