Eli Ridder | The Post
North Korea is willing to discard its nuclear weapon program on the condition of a security guarantee from the United States, the South said on Tuesday.
U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said several hours after the announcement that Washington needs “credible, verifiable” information regarding the North’s intentions to abandon its nuclear ambitions, reported AP.
Pyongyang ramped up its nuclear weapons and conventional missile programs in 2017, carrying out several tensions that put nearby countries and the international community on edge.
Seoul announced that for the first time in over a decade, there will be a summit in late April between the Republic of Korea and its northern counterpart, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, or DPRK.
The summit was announced by ROK national security chief Chung Eui-yong after returning from a trip to meet with DPRK leader Kim Jung-un.
Chung’s talks with the elusive North Korean leader come after what some described as at least a public thaw between North and South Korea during the Winter Olympic Games last month.
The DPRK also vowed not to utilize nuclear or conventional weapons against the South Koreans, according to AP, citing Seoul’s Blue House.
South Korea also said the two countries are establishing a “hotline”, a communication method not used by the neighbours in several years.
North and South Korea are still technically at war after the Korean War of the early 50s ended in an armistice.
More details to follow. Image of Kim Jung-un and the South Korean delegation from NBC News.