Eli Ridder | The Avro Post
North Korean agreeing to hold demilitarization talks with the United States is proof that President Donald Trump’s strategy in isolating Pyongyang is working, according U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Friday.
Mr. Pence said Washington had made “zero concessions” and “consistently increased the pressure” on the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s leader Kim Jung-un, reported local media.
After a tumultuous 2017 that saw rising tensions between the DPRK and the rest of the international community, the two Korea’s played on unified sports teams at the South Korean Winter Olympics and the North sent several athletes.
Earlier this week, South Korea sent a delegation to meet with DPRK supreme leader Kim in unprecedented talks.
On Wednesday, the South’s delegation arrived in the U.S. to brief top officials and give a letter from Kim to Mr. Trump that offered to holds talks and suspend missile and nuclear tests.
South Korean officials stood outside the White House on Thursday evening to announce that Trump had agreed to meet with North Korea’s supreme leader, and that it could happen as soon as May.
Trump hailed Thursday’s development as “great progress” but that said that current sanctions would remain in place.
The DPRK and the South, formally known as the Republic of Korea, are still technically at war as the 1950s conflict ended in an armistice.
Russia and China have hailed the planned talks as progress, and called for “political courage”.
It is not yet determined where the meeting between the leaders will take place.
More details to follow. Image of Mike Pence from Quartz.