Connect with us

Ontario Politics

Elliott concedes PC leadership race to Ford

Christine Elliott ended her short resistance to the result of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party leadership race on Sunday, abandoning any legal challenge and throwing her support behind newly elected leader Doug Ford, reported CBC News.

Published

on

Eli Ridder | The Avro Post

Christine Elliott ended her short resistance to the result of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party leadership race on Sunday, abandoning any legal challenge and throwing her support behind newly elected leader Doug Ford.


Doug Ford is declared PC leader

Tap into all Ontario politics


Ms. Elliott’s campaign did not concede after the delayed announcement of Ford’s victory late on Saturday, citing “serious irregularities” in regards to a ballot issue.

In a press release posted on her Twitter account, Elliott said that after carrying out a review of the election she was “confident in the results.”

Despite having a “good case” in challenging results that were separated only by a reported few hundred votes, an Elliott campaign official told CBC earlier on Sunday that her team was “unanimous that this was the right way forward” in conceding to Mr. Ford.

“The name of the game is unifying the party.”

The official said that the only way to challenge the results would be to take the issue to court, an course of action that Elliot and her team did not want to do in what analysts say has already been a chaotic and dramatic few months for the PC Party ahead of the June election.

Elliott and Ford met on Sunday, where the second place candidate gave her support to the leadership race winner.

An official announcement from her campaign is expected soon.


More details to follow. Image of Doug Ford and Christine Elliott from  ■

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ontario

High school teachers launch day-long strike

The OSSTF is now on strike.

Published

on

Photo for demonstration via Pexels.

The union representing public high school teachers launched a one-day strike on Wednesday morning after a deadline for a deal was missed, the first strike in 22 years by the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation.

This means that classes are cancelled at public and Catholic high schools for the day. The bargaining team for the union had remained in their caucus room since 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning but there was no provincial representation, OSSTF said.

 ■

Continue Reading

Campus

Administrations, unions give varied response to SCI ruling

The U of T was first to close the SCI.

Published

on

File photo.

On Nov. 21, the Ontario Divisional Court deemed the Ford government’s Student Choice Initiative unlawful and the reaction has varied from sending the optional fees website offline to waiting on the Ford government’s response.

On Monday, Nov. 25, the University of Toronto responded by being the first university in Ontario to email its students informing them that they would be freezing the “incidental fees portal” while they took stock.

In an email to students from Vice-Provost Sandy Welsh, University of Toronto students were informed that the school was evaluating the “technical impact” of the court’s decision, and that there would be updates to come. 

In a graphic posted on their social media, Sheridan College said “Sheridan is monitoring the situation to see what course of action the government chooses to take. Until we receive a new directive, we’ll continue under the current one, which allows students to opt-out of paying certain fees.”

Few other post-secondary institutions have posted a public update about the new evolution in the implementation of the province of Ontario’s “Tuition Fee Framework and Ancillary Fee Guidelines” document. [hyperlink: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/pepg/mtcu-university-tuition-framework-guidelines-mar2019-en.pdf]

The University of Guelph has not released a statement yet, but administration has advised its student union, the Central Student Association, that large institutions can take time to implement legal decisions, and that figuring out mechanics with which to reverse the ”Student Choice Initiative” will take some time. 

While the government of Ontario has not yet commented on the releases, there is speculation that they are considering an appeal. In a statement on Friday November 22nd, spokesperson Clara Bryne wrote, “The Ministry of Colleges and Universities is currently reviewing the decision released yesterday. We will have more to say on this at a later date.”

Canadian Federation of Students – Ontario National Executive Representative, and the CFS representative in the legal proceedings, Kayla Weiler, said “we haven’t had any confirmation if there will be an appeal or not, and […] we’re hoping the government will respect the unanimous decision of the panel of judges and respect student democracy”

In its reasons, the Divisional Court said, “The University Guidelines [SCI] … are beyond the scope of the crown’s prerogative power over spending because they are contrary to the statutory autonomy conferred on universities by statute.”

Referring specifically to section seven of the Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology Act wherein governments are prevented from interfering with the “normal activities” of student governing bodies – specifically the court ruled that “normal activities” the government is precluded from includes; “reducing or eliminating the funding used by student associations.” ■

Reporting by Jack Fisher; 
Editing by Eli Ridder.
Continue Reading

Campus

Doug Ford visits new Humber College building

The premier visited the Barrett Centre.

Published

on

Photos via Doug Ford on Twitter.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford visited the new Barrett Centre for Technology Innovation on Friday at North Campus, a visit that was unlisted on Humber College’s event calendar.

Ford was on campus with Sault Ste. Marie MPP Ross Romano and city councillor Michael Ford, who represents the ward Humber is located in.

“We’ve invested over $20 million in pre-apprenticeship training, like the General Machinist program at Humber,” Ford said in a tweet. ■

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.