Kaela Johnson | The Avro Post
The Avro Post spoke with Web Magazine Lead of Emerge 2018 and GHAMA President, Arienne Johnson about the upcoming Emerge Conference, taking place on Thursday, March 22.
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Location: The Assembly Hall, 1 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive, Toronto, ON
Tickets: Emerge Conference
What is Emerge?
EMERGE is diverse media project including an annual print & web magazine, media conference and competition/awards show held and created by fourth year Media Studies class from the University of Guelph-Humber.
Who runs Emerge?
Emerge is created by all fourth-year Media Studies students, every student must participate in some way. In a course called Transition to Work, students must choose what role they want to play in EMERGE. Some students can also choose to interview for an executive or lead role the semester before. The Emerge conference specifically is ran by most of the PR and Media Business class, however we all play some part.
Why should students attend?
EMERGE is a great networking experience for student who will one day be in fourth-year, to meet and listen to professional advice about their field. It is also great for students who are searching for their dream career path, and want more information about careers they may never thought of before. Be ready to be motivated!
Is the event only for media students or can other students from other programs attend?
All students can attend this event, even from other schools! The media field has so many cross-functional roles and departments, and anyone attending can benefit from going to the conference by learning from professionals no matter what they specialize in. They will be teaching about life, and motivating you as a student and young adult.
Are there any discounts for students?
Yes, if you follow one of EmergeTO social networks, you can get access to many contests and discount codes! Get 40% OFF now using the code EMERGESOCIAL.
Since it’s near Humber lakeshore, how can students coming from classes attend?
We want to make sure that everyone gets a chance to attend the conference, no matter where you are! There will be shuttle buses departing from Guelph-Humber from 8:10am and 8:30am, then departing the venue at 12:45pm, 4:10pm, and 4:20pm.
Emerge Conference Speakers
The speakers this year are:
- Nicole Pollock and Jorie Brown of Cotton Candy Events, an event management company
- Kevin Kennedy and Noah Frankel of digital media company, Homestand Sports
- Dave Bidini, founder of the West End Phoenix, a Toronto company newspaper, author and musician
- Angela Misri, digital journalist, professor and author of Portia Adams Adventures, a series of detective novels for children.
- Kevin Donovan, chief investigative journalist and editor for the Toronto Star
- Tom Henheffer, former Director of News and Digital at VICE Canada, and former Executive Director of Canadian Journalists for Free Expression
- Heath Applebaum, media consultant, writer, President of Echo Communications, a reputation management consulting firm, and Guelph-Humber Media Studies professor
- Patricia Parsons, former chairman of the Department of Communication Studies at Mount Saint Vincent University in Halifax, Nova Scotia and author
Emerge Media Awards
Thank you Arienne for your cooperation!
Featured image from Emerge.TO Facebook page