Eli Ridder | The Avro Post

Remaining Syrian rebel groups in the rebel enclave of Eastern Ghouta entered into a United Nations-brokered ceasefire on Thursday night.

The area has been the focus of intense combat as forces loyal to Damascus push into the area, with some 83 per cent of the rebel territory taken at this point, according the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights.

A spokesperson for one of the rebel militias, Faylaq al-Rahman, said that the ceasefire had been agreed to “in order to negotiate with the Russian side about finding a solution to guarantee the safety of civilians”.

The U.N., Syria and Damascus-ally Russia have been silent regarding the report, and news agencies could not immediately confirm if the truce was actually in force following the scheduled 10 p.m. GMT ceasefire.

An earlier truce between the Ahrar al-Sham militia and the Syrian army allowed for some 600 rebels and their families to depart the key town of Harasta, said reports.

Buses carrying over 1,400, with more expected to follow on Friday, were en route to rebel-held Idlib province.


More details to follow. Image of Eastern Ghouta from VOP Today.

Advertisements

Written by Eli Ridder

Eli Ridder is a journalism student at the University of Guelph-Humber and a senior correspondent for multiple independent publications including, but not limited to, The Anon Journal, Berning Media Network and the Ribbon. Find out more at eliridder.ca

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s