Eli Ridder | The Avro Post
Leaders from the United States and France late on Monday vowed a strong response to the alleged chemical attack in Syria, among other Western leaders condemning last week’s attack.
The accused, Syria, and ally Russia, both deny the strikes ever happening, but the Syrian-American Medical Society said over 500 were brought to medical centres in Douma with symptoms “indicative of exposure to a chemical agent”.
The death toll, injuries and further details are currently impossible to obtain as the former rebel-held area near the capital of Damascus is blocked off.
The alleged attack took place in Eastern Ghouta in one of the last remaining rebel enclaves part of Syria’s civil war, and Mr. Trump, who has responded militarily before, said “we have a lot of options militarily”.
The U.S. president said Washington was getting more information on who was responsible for the attack on Saturday and that a response would be decided “shortly”.
It comes after a tense United Nations Security Council meeting where the Russian envoy said the attack was staged and U.S. military action in response could result in “grace repercussions”.
The U.S. ambassador said Russia had the “blood of Syrian children” on its hands, branding Syrian President Bashar al-Assad a monster.
More details to follow. Image of Donald Trump and Emmanuel Macron from Quartz.