Eli Ridder, Rob Pfieffer | The Avro Post

The United States maintained that “all options are on the table” for its response to the alleged chemical attack the Syrian government carried out last week following threats of a missile attack from President Donald Trump on Wednesday. 


Trump warns Russia to ‘get ready’

Live: Syrian chemical attack crisis


White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders would not go into further detail regarding the a possible U.S. strike, repeating that Mr. Trump had several options for a response to Syria, despite the president specifically suggesting earlier that an attack was imminent.

Mr. Trump tweeted in the morning that missiles “will be coming” to the condemnation of Russia, who blames the White Helmets, a Syrian rescue group, for the purported chemical weapons strike on April 7 that Syria denies responsibility for.

Ms. Sanders also said that Russia plays a role in determining whether it becomes an enemy of Washington in regards to what she described as being a “bad actor”.

The suspected chemical strike in Douma may have affected some 500 people, according to the World Health Organization.

The WHO said the mass of people had been seen at medical facilities exhibiting symptoms consistent with exposure to toxic chemicals.

On Monday, Trump said that there would be a decision made within 48 hours, vowing a “firm” response with ally French President Emmanuel Macron, but Sanders on Wednesday said the president “has not laid out a timetable”.

The United Kingdom was more vocal on Wednesday, saying that “All indications are that this was the responsibility of the Syrian regime and we will now work with our closest allies to see how we can ensure that those responsible are held to account.”

British Prime Minister Theresa May ordered submarines to move within missile range of Syria in preparation for a strike, the Telegraph reported.

May called an emergency cabinet meeting to consider military action against Syria late on Wednesday.

Other U.S. allies such as Canada gave their condemnation over the attack for violating international law on the day it happened, but so far it appears that only the U.S., U.K. and France would participate in a multi-lateral attack on Syrian government forces.

Kuwait Airways has announced it has decided to stop flights to Beirut from Thursday onwards until further notice on the basis of security warnings from the Cypriot authorities which say it is dangerous to fly in the atmosphere surrounding Lebanon.


More details to follow. Image of the White House from previous files. 

Advertisements

Written by Eli Ridder

Eli Ridder is a journalism student at the University of Guelph-Humber and a senior correspondent for multiple independent publications including, but not limited to, The Anon Journal, Berning Media Network and the Ribbon. Find out more at eliridder.ca

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s