Eli Ridder | The Avro Post

French President Emmanuel Macron said on Thursday he has evidence that the Syrian government attacked the town of Douma with chemical weapons earlier this month, which come as the United States prepares to potentially strike. 

Mr. Macron said that he would decide “in due course” whether to respond with air strikes,

Urine and blood samples from victims of the attack have tested positive for chlorine and a nerve agent, U.S. media report, citing U.S. officials as saying.

Russia’s U.N. envoy said the top priority is to avert war in Syria, doesn’t rule out possibility of U.S.-Russian conflict – AP

Cabinet ministers left Downing Street earlier on Thursday after meeting U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss the British response to the suspected chemical attack.

The cabinet is expected to back her call to join military action threatened by the United States and its allies.

The prime minister is prepared to take action against the Assad regime without first seeking Parliamentary consent, reported BBC News.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said earlier that her country would not engage in an allied offensive on Syria in response to the Douma chemical attack, but explained her country supports the chemical probe.

“Germany will not participate in possible military actions” against Syria, she said from Berlin, explaining that her country will “support and see to it that every effort is being made to show that this use of chemical weapons is unacceptable”.

The chancellor explained her country is behind the U.N. Security Council and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, or OPCW, who said they would be investigating Douma to find truth for the alleged chemical weapons attack.

If the U.S., the U.K. and France were to take military action, Berlin would seek other ways to help which don’t involve the military.

Damascus narrowly avoided U.S. and French air strikes in 2013 in retaliation for a suspected sarin attack by agreeing to hand over its chemical arsenal.

The U.S. and France vowed a “firm” response earlier this week and movements in the Middle East region, military brass moving in and out of the White House and flight rerouting by Syria shows anticipation of an incoming air assault by allies.

The U.S. maintained that “all options are on the table” for its response to the alleged chemical attack the Syrian government carried out last week following threats of a missile attack from President Donald Trump on Wednesday.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders would not go into further detail regarding the a possible U.S. strike, repeating that Mr. Trump had several options for a response to Syria, despite the president specifically suggesting earlier that an attack was imminent.

Mr. Trump tweeted in the morning that missiles “will be coming” to the condemnation of Russia, who blames the White Helmets, a Syrian rescue group, for the purported chemical weapons strike on April 7 that Syria denies responsibility for.

He clarified on Thursday, tweeting that he “never said when an attack on Syria would take place”.

Ms. Sanders also said that Russia plays a role in determining whether it becomes an enemy of Washington in regards to what she described as being a “bad actor”.

The suspected chemical strike in Douma may have affected some 500 people, according to the World Health Organization.

The WHO said the mass of people had been seen at medical facilities exhibiting symptoms consistent with exposure to toxic chemicals.

On Monday, Trump said that there would be a decision made within 48 hours, vowing a “firm” response with ally French President Emmanuel Macron, but Sanders on Wednesday said the president “has not laid out a timetable”.

The United Kingdom was more vocal on Wednesday, saying that “All indications are that this was the responsibility of the Syrian regime and we will now work with our closest allies to see how we can ensure that those responsible are held to account.”

British Prime Minister Theresa May ordered submarines to move within missile range of Syria in preparation for a strike, the Telegraph reported.

Other U.S. allies such as Canada gave their condemnation over the attack for violating international law on the day it happened, but so far it appears that only the U.S., U.K. and France would participate in a multi-lateral attack on Syrian government forces.

Kuwait Airways has announced it has decided to stop flights to Beirut from Thursday onward until further notice on the basis of security warnings from the Cypriot authorities which say it is dangerous to fly in the atmosphere surrounding Lebanon.


More details to follow. Image of Emmanuel Macron from previous files. 

Advertisements

Written by Eli Ridder

Eli Ridder is a journalism student at the University of Guelph-Humber and a senior correspondent for multiple independent publications including, but not limited to, The Anon Journal, Berning Media Network and the Ribbon. Find out more at eliridder.ca

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s