Alexandre Bissonnette told Canadian police that he carried out his attack on a Quebec mosque over fears of a terrorist attack due to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s liberal immigration policy, it was revealed in court on Friday.
A day before the Jan. 29 shooting last year, Mr. Trudeau said Canada welcomed refugees in the face of U.S. President Donald Trump’s crackdown on those from several Muslim-majority countries.
In a video of his police confession, taped the day after the mosque attack, the assailant said he feared there would be another terrorist attack in Canada, like the one on Parliament Hill in 2014 or France’s Nice in July 2016.
Mr. Bissonnette said he was pushed to act then because he saw television coverage of Trudeau’s move to bring in further immigrants after Trump announced that be would be halting all refugees admissions and putting in a seven-country ban.
“Yes, I was listening to TV, and we knew that the Canadian government was going to take more refugees, those who would not be admitted to the United States would be here. And there, I lost the map, ” Bissonnette said, reported La Presse.
The 28-year-old pleaded guilty to six counts of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder in March, and started his sentencing hearing where the confession video was played on Friday.
More details to follow. Image of Alexandre Bissonnette from NBC News.