Connect with us

Toronto

Homeless given 2 weeks to abandon tent cities in downtown Toronto

The city has given homeless living in tent cities under the Gardner Expressway in Downtown Toronto two weeks to pack up their things and leave.

Published

on

Jacob Argintaru | Report

The city has given homeless living in tent cities under the Gardner Expressway in Downtown Toronto two weeks to pack up their things and leave.

The city made the decision based on bylaws that prohibit individuals from placing tents and other structures on city property.

Toronto’s chief communications officer Brad Ross also says that the tent cities have a number of safety issues, like many of the tents being heated by propane which could cause fires and emit carbon monoxide.

Ross claims that ultimately, the city “want[s] to make sure that [homeless] have proper shelter.” However, Cathy Crowe, activist and street nurse, says that “there’s nowhere for people to go.”

Tent cities are nothing new, but have been growing in size recently due to lack of space in homeless shelters.

Crowe claims that the city does not provide sufficient space for homeless to sleep, pointing to the record-number of people using 24-hour respite centres as shelters are full.

“People are doing measures like this because they’re trying to survive,” she said. “So they’re here in encampments. Some people try to survive by staying outside.”

Toronto’s homeless shelters have been struggling with capacity for the past year as a result of Canada’s recent influx of migrants.

In April of last year, the city reported that approximately one in four of those using homeless shelters were asylum seekers, and that number is only expected to grow in 2019.


More details to follow | Image of tent under Gardner Expressway, from CBC. ■

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Sports

Toronto FC re-sign Bradley to new deal

TFC captain Michael Bradley signed onto a three-year TAM deal on Thursday.

Published

on

TFC captain Michael Bradley signed onto a three-year TAM deal on Thursday.

Bradley joined the club in 2014 as a designated player, he signed a six-year deal worth $39 million USD. The club have now signed him on a targeted allocation money deal, which will see him earn around $1.5 million per season for the next three years.

“I feel so attached to the city of Toronto, the club, the team. I love it here and I am really proud of what we’ve been able to do over the past six years,” Bradley said during the press conference.

In Bradley’s six seasons with TFC, he has led the club to three Canadian Championships, three Eastern Conference Championships, one Supporters’ Shield and one MLS Cup. He was an integral part in the 2017 side that won the treble.

Bradley made his 200th appearance for the Reds in the 2019 MLS Cup in November, he joined Justin Morrow and Jonathan Osorio in the 200 club.

He has scored 13 goals and contributed 28 assists across all competitions since he was signed.

Bradley signing on TAM means he will no longer take up a designated player spot. Each MLS club is allowed to have up to three designated players, and two of three TFC’s slots are taken up by striker Jozy Altidore and midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo.

The organization has made it clear this offseason that they want to sign a striker as a designated player to help Altidore with goalscoring capabilities.

TFC begin their season on February 29 in California against the San Jose Earthquakes.


Featured image from Toronto FC. ■

Continue Reading

Toronto

RSU executives resign, another survives impeachment vote

Impeachment will be considered for another in 2020.

Published

on

File photo of RSU.

Two Ryerson Student Union executives resigned before a dramatic meeting on Tuesday evening where the RSU’s Board of Directors voted against removing its vice president of education and was forced to table a vote on impeaching one of its executives after it ran out of time.

The process started when a motion was passed at a Nov. 13 Board meeting to hold executive accountable when not working their full 40-hour workweeks, The Eyeopener reported. Notices of removal were moved at a Nov. 27 meeting with the reasoning that three of the executives broke the 40-hour rule found in the RSU’s bylaws.

The motion stated that executives have been requested “three times” to work the required hours from 10 a.m. from 6 p.m. but “many of them refuse to abide by this rule”, according to The Eyeopener. An agenda for Tuesday detailed motions to remove Vice President Equity Naja Pereira, Vice President Education Kwaku Agyemang and Vice President Operations Augustine Onuh.

Before the meeting began and the motions could be considered, two of the executives resigned with brief, curt statements to The Eyeopener.

Pereira called the environment at the RSU an “unhealthy and damaging one” and sought guidance from medical professionals ahead of her resignation.

Vice President Marketing Victoria Anderson-Garnder told the Eyeopener that she had resigned from her position and a resignation letter was read out loud at the Tuesday meeting by another executive. Anderson-Gardner cited “high stresses” and “physical, emotional and spiritual” impact since she started her term, reported The Eyeopener’s Madi Wong.

Agyemang survived a vote on his impeachment. A director against removing the vice president called it “hasty” as the 40-hour accountability motion was just passed by the Board, according to reports of the Tuesday meeting. Another director questioned why the vice president would be in the role if he is not completing a minimum of hours.

Onuh faced a two-part motion of impeachment that stated he did not fulfil the required hours and violated a harassment bylaw. He defended himself, saying that he had little preparation for the role and that he was working overtime to make up the hours.

In response to the allegation of harassment, The Eyeopener’s editor-in-chief tweeted that Onuh did not recall a phone call where the accusation stems from, adding that he should be given an opportunity to defend himself.

However, the meeting was forced to come to a close at 10:35 p.m. as the space was booked. Thus, the motion for impeaching Onuh was pushed until the January 2020 meeting of the Board of Directors.

IGNITE, the student union representing students at Humber College and the University of Guelph-Humber, last removed an executive in 2016 when former vice president Mikki Decker did not fulfill academic requirements. More recently, a vice president that went by just Simran stepped down over the summer and was replaced via a hiring process. ■

Continue Reading

Sports

Raptors snap losing streak with win in Chicago

The Toronto Raptors ended a three-game winless streak on Monday when they defeated the Chicago Bulls 93-92.

Published

on

The Toronto Raptors ended a three-game winless streak on Monday when they defeated the Chicago Bulls 93-92.

Illinois native Fred VanVleet did not play because of a right knee injury he sustained on Sunday against Philadelphia.

Pascal Siakam led Raptors scorers with 22 points. Norman Powell had 17. Kyle Lowry had 11 points, seven rebounds and seven assists. OG Anunoby scored 10.

Marc Gasol scored nine points and had nine rebounds. Serge Ibaka recorded a double-double off the bench with 11 points and 14 boards.

Zach Lavine scored all of his 20 points in the first half, he added 11 rebounds onto his stat-sheet. Wendell Carter Jr. and Daniel Gafford scored 14 points each.

Lauri Markkanen and Denzel Valentine scored 13 apiece. Tomas Satoransky recorded a double-double with 10 points and 11 assists.

Anunoby did a number of things throughout the game on both ends of the floor.

Gasol recorded four blocks, including this one that helped his team preserve the lead.

The Raptors return home to Scotiabank Arena on Wednesday to host Kawhi Leonard and the Los Angeles Clippers.

Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.


Featured image from Toronto Raptors. ■

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.