Connect with us

Toronto

Homeless given 2 weeks to abandon tent cities in downtown Toronto

The city has given homeless living in tent cities under the Gardner Expressway in Downtown Toronto two weeks to pack up their things and leave.

Published

on

Jacob Argintaru | Report

The city has given homeless living in tent cities under the Gardner Expressway in Downtown Toronto two weeks to pack up their things and leave.

The city made the decision based on bylaws that prohibit individuals from placing tents and other structures on city property.

Toronto’s chief communications officer Brad Ross also says that the tent cities have a number of safety issues, like many of the tents being heated by propane which could cause fires and emit carbon monoxide.

Ross claims that ultimately, the city “want[s] to make sure that [homeless] have proper shelter.” However, Cathy Crowe, activist and street nurse, says that “there’s nowhere for people to go.”

Tent cities are nothing new, but have been growing in size recently due to lack of space in homeless shelters.

Crowe claims that the city does not provide sufficient space for homeless to sleep, pointing to the record-number of people using 24-hour respite centres as shelters are full.

“People are doing measures like this because they’re trying to survive,” she said. “So they’re here in encampments. Some people try to survive by staying outside.”

Toronto’s homeless shelters have been struggling with capacity for the past year as a result of Canada’s recent influx of migrants.

In April of last year, the city reported that approximately one in four of those using homeless shelters were asylum seekers, and that number is only expected to grow in 2019.


More details to follow | Image of tent under Gardner Expressway, from CBC. ■

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Ontario

High school teachers launch day-long strike

The OSSTF is now on strike.

Published

on

Photo for demonstration via Pexels.

The union representing public high school teachers launched a one-day strike on Wednesday morning after a deadline for a deal was missed, the first strike in 22 years by the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation.

This means that classes are cancelled at public and Catholic high schools for the day. The bargaining team for the union had remained in their caucus room since 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning but there was no provincial representation, OSSTF said.

 ■

Continue Reading

Sports

Strong first half pushes Raptors to beat Jazz

The Toronto Raptors began December with a 130-110 win against the Utah Jazz on Sunday.

Published

on

The Toronto Raptors began December with a 130-110 win against the Utah Jazz on Sunday.

The Raptors scored a season-best 77 points in the first half. They were up a franchise-best 40 points at halftime. They also allowed a season-worst with the most points conceded in one quarter when Utah scored 49 in the third.

Pascal Siakam had 35 points in 35 minutes, along with five assists and five rebounds. Fred VanVleet recorded a double-double with 21 points and 11 assists. Norman Powell scored 15.

Serge Ibaka returned from injury after missing just over three weeks of action, he scored 13 points. Terence Davis had 13 points as well. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and OG Anunoby scored 10 points apiece.

Mike Conley led the Jazz with 20 points, Jeff Green scored 19 points in 15 minutes off the bench.

Donovan Mitchell had 16 points, and Rudy Gobert recorded a double-double with 12 points and 11 boards. Bojan Bogdanovic scored 11.

Here are some of the Raptors highlights of the night:

Head coach Nick Nurse was named the eastern conference coach of the month on Tuesday. This award was given to him for the games played in October and November, as he coached the Raptors to a current record of 14-4.

The Raptors host the Miami Heat at Scotiabank Arena on Tuesday.

Tip-off is set for 7:30.


Featured image from John E. Sokolowski/USA Today Sports. ■

Continue Reading

Toronto

Reports of sexual assault at York University

There are two suspects.

Published

on

File photo of Scott Library via Pinterest.

Police responded to multiple reports of a sexual assault at York University Saturday evening and an investigation is under way.

One man was touching a woman inappropriately at Scott Library and another was filming it, Toronto Police tweeted, adding later that two males were located.

The library is a large and sprawling with multiple floors. Officers have searched the building.

No further information has been made available. ■

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.