Eli Ridder | Report
The Ontario government under Premier Doug Ford and his Progressive Conservatives announced on Thursday their plans to cut tuition fees while discarding free tuition for students from low-income families.
The Ontario Student Assistance Plan grants, which do not need to be paid back, had become unsustainable and the government wants to focus on the students in the most financial need, the post-secondary minster said.
“The previous government believed in handing out OSAP money to some of Ontario’s highest income earners with virtually no meaningful criteria for success,” Training, Colleges and Universities Minister Merrliee Fullerton said.
The previous Liberal government increased the number of grants and made it possible for low-income students to attend college or university free of cost.
However, the auditor general found last month that costs for that program jumped by 25 per cent and warned it could grow to $2 billion annually by 2020 to 2021.
More details to follow.