Eli Ridder | Report

U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday announced a deal with Congressional leadership that did not include border wall funding to bring an end to the longest government shutdown in United States history for at least three weeks while talks continue.

The partial government shutdown that started in December left some 800,000 federal employees without pay.

Though the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives and Republican Senate passed several stopgap and re-open bills respectively, none were approved by the president because it did not include $5.7 billion for border wall funding.

Speaking on day 35 of the shutdown in the White House Rose Garden, Mr. Trump said the agreement would fund the government until Feb. 15.

He said federal workers affected by the shutdown, whom he called “incredible patriots”, would receive all the money they were owed.

Trump also said he had decided at this time not to resort to “a very powerful alternative” – an apparent reference to declaring a national emergency, a strategy floated by the White House earlier this month.


More details to follow.

Written by Eli Ridder

Eli Ridder is a freelance journalist. He founded The Avro Post in October 2017. He writes for Breaking911 and Guelph Politico, among others. Feel free to connect at ELIRIDDER@ICLOUD.COM or at ELIRIDDER.CA

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.